Wednesday 3 June 2015

Part 1 - Maymorn to Kaitoke

I set off at 10.30 am with my bike on the Masterton train heading for Maymorn, which is just through the current train tunnel on the other side of the Rimutakas. The journey takes about an hour so I had a nice relaxing time watching the Wairarapa Valley pass by out the window. I was also entertained by listening in on conversations being had by local farmers who were on their way to Wellington. They knew a lot about the area's local history - not to mention the local gossip!

On the way to Maymorn
Watching the Valley go by





























Off at Maymorn Station at 11.30am I was expecting to see a big sign pointing the way to the Rail Trail. But no such luck! So I headed off in the direction of Featherston and the hills and after biking under the railway bridge eventually came across some signs. I was on my way.

Getting my direction together at Maymorn Station


Heading down Parkes Line Road



























Soon enough I reached the entrance to Tunnel Gully and I knew I was on track so to speak. The trail is lined with pine trees and this section is the steepest part of the trail in this direction. I did a bit of pushing the bike uphill here, and I started to wonder why I was doing this expedition. I was imagining the journey was going to be like that all the way! But it started to level out and eventually I reached Mangaroa Tunnel. 

After that things settled down as I followed the Old Railway Line section. Another signpost at an intersection takes you out onto the old road, until you find the signpost for the car park. So I had made it to Kaitoke - this part of the journey took about an hour.


Entrance to Tunnel Gully 

On the Pine tree-lined trail

Mangaroa Tunnel to the Old Railway Line

Intersection with directions onto the old road

To the Car Park and start of the trail

No comments:

Post a Comment